Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Emtih's Journal

It feels like I'm always findin' time to be writin' in this book, and I've probably said a lot of things I was not meanin' to be sayin' when I first started a'writin' in this thing.

We found another hostage a minute ago and I can sense that as a group we're beginnin' ta learn to work together. This room, I had been a'peakin' into it to see what was ahead, and I saw this lady tied some altar thingy as well as some statues of these displacer beasts and a whole pack of dire rats. Nasty fellas I'll tell you that.

Arel and Bassha took the lead and protected the rest of us from the rats while magic boy Arnie and And blasted away from a range. I got in close and tried to do as much damage as I could but I think Arel and Bassha were far more effective than I. If it were just the rats I don't think it would have been any problem, but there were these two gnomes skulkin' 'round trying to pin us with their crossbows. I took one solid hit but that was it before we dispatch'd the lot of 'em. Arel done did well, smashing away the rats with relative ease. He has a funny style, but he's sure good in a fight, I'll tell ye that much.

The lady had been bit pretty bad by the rats, and I think she had contract'd something from the rat bites so we took the time to carry her back to the newly-fortified holding place the other rescued hostages dun set up. I swear, if we left that dwarf alone in this fort for a few more days he'd probably rebuild the whole darn thing.

We're gonna head out to try to find that human boy now, we thinks we have an idea where he might be. Everything seems to be falling into place and gettin' better and better, but I can't help but worry that the worst is yet to come. Usually when things start a'lookin' up a bird comes by and poops in yer eye although sometimes ye get a lucky break.

After I found my family dead in the Witchwoods long time ago and had calmed m'self down, I set off again tryin' to find some others who had survived. I figur'd that if the one refugee convoy had got away from Cendrianne there must have b'n others too. Luck was with me and about two days later I found another convoy, or rather, it found me.

I had made camp in a tree near this waterin' hole, hopin' that I could catch something to eat, but not havin' slept for a few days I was plumb exhausted and soon collapsed and fell from the tree. Lyin' there for a while I heard some rustlin' bushes and figur'd some predator had come to finish me off. I was so tired that I almost welcomed an end to my misery. But instead of the sharp teeth of a wolf or the claws of a bear, it was the hand of And that touched me.

Everything after that felt like some kind of dream. I heard the voices around me and felt their hands carry me to their convoy where I was given food and clean water, but I felt unable to do anything but stare blankly at those around me. I was grateful to them, but my lips could not form the words to say nuthin'. As the convoy carried me away and out of the Witchwoods it always felt like I had died at that spot by that waterin' hole but my body just kinda liv'd on regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment